At SYM we are in the midst of app development, so I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately. Why are there so many apps out there? Do we really need another one? The answer to these questions for me is: 1) Apps make people’s life easy, that’s why there are so many, and 2) Yes, see answer 1.
There’s a great post over at YouthMinistry.com from Matt McKee about mobile apps and why your church or ministry may need one. The article points out that these mobile devices are not just for the geek anymore, but they are part of everyone’s life from age 2 to 90.
Here’s his list of why you may need one:
- It gives you another access point that your local community can access.
- It allows you to be location sensitive. You can send messages to a certain zip code if you want.
- It can integrate social media so that people can help spread your message across the Internet.
- It helps you get past a Sunday or Wednesday only mentality, and let’s people interact with content on a daily basis.
- It makes your message 1 or 2 clicks away.
- It makes your content more convenient, and the more convenient the more it is used.
- It makes your message more broad-reaching than just your local community.
- It can help drive people to your church building for special events or weekend services.
- It can make special announcements such as community wide prayer requests.
- It can stream your message in audio or video format.
- It makes reaching a new demographic even easier.
- It will differentiate your vision and values from others.
- It will create different engagement than your Web site.
- It drives loyalty.
- It puts your branding in front of potential guests before they walk in the door.
- It provides a new way to collect feedback.
- It can be a new place for people to contribute to your church or ministry.
- It encourages people to share your message with the people around them.
- It can reduce the cost of mailings and the frequency of mailings.
- It can highlight new books or resources that go along with current teaching series.
- It creates a buzz that you message is relevant in today’s culture.
Read the entire post here: 21 Reasons Your Church or Ministry Needs a Mobile App | YouthMinistry.com.
Do you think your ministry needs an app?