I have a confession to make. My life is out of control. OK, that may be a little dramatic, but over the last 6 months I’ve allowed myself to become more and more disorganized. A lot of it has to do with the number of projects and things I’ve needed to get done have increased, and my organizational system hasn’t scaled to the new amount of tasks.
There are those that tell me I need to start using a GTD system, but to be honest those systems seem like they would be too much work to keep going. I see the need for something more than just keeping a list in my moleskin notebook. I’ve looked at a number of different software packages and web tools, but this is what I’ve narrowed my search down to:
Entourage is what I use for email. It has a task list that can be tied to me email and calendar. It’s already in my work flow and I’m very familiar with it. It’s not perfect, but ramp up time would be small.
- Pro: tied to my work email and calendar, everything in one place, little setup time
- Con: doesn’t sync to my phone, have to be at my computer to update the list or check things off, can’t share it
2. Backpack from 39signals
Backpack is an online tool for creating simple pages that can include to do lists, comments, and such. It’s super easy to use and the free version is pretty functional.
- Pro: online-I can use it where ever I am, shareable – I can allow others on my team to ad items or comments to help prioritize, can set reminders that will be texted to me
- Con: may outgrow free version, todos and reminds don’t tie together, iPhone apps not free
I’ve been using Evernote for awhile as a place to capture notes and thoughts for projects and blog post ideas, and recently I read an article about how to use it as GTD system (but one that seems doable). The article itself was confusing at first pass, but there were some great basic ideas that I easily implement.
- Pro: online – access it anywhere, free version will be adequate for quite some time, shareable, more than just to do system, research and info system as well, can include photos / voice notes, can email items to it
- Con: will take the most amount of time to setup, a little bit of a hack to do what I want, no reminders or calendar ties
What are your thoughts on these? Anything that works for you?